Whiskey — a reputation derived from the Irish-language phrase for “water of life” — is among the many hottest alcoholic drinks worldwide.
Although there are numerous varieties, Scotch and bourbon are essentially the most generally consumed.
Regardless of their many similarities, they’ve notable variations.
This text explains the distinction between bourbon and Scotch whiskey.
Whiskey is a distilled alcoholic drink made out of fermented grain mashes. They’re sometimes aged in charred oak barrels till they attain their desired manufacturing age (1).
The commonest grains used to make whiskey embody corn, barley, rye, and wheat.
Bourbon whiskey, or bourbon, is primarily made out of corn mash.
It’s solely produced in the USA and, in keeping with U.S. laws, have to be made out of a grain mash that’s not less than 51% corn and aged in new, charred oak containers (1).
There isn’t any minimal time interval for bourbon whiskey to be aged, however any selection aged for lower than 4 years should have the age said on the label. That stated, for a product to be known as straight bourbon, it have to be aged for not less than two years (1).
Bourbon whiskey is distilled and bottled at a minimal of 40% alcohol (80 proof).
Scotch whiskey, or Scotch, is especially made out of malted barley.
To bear the title, it might solely be produced in Scotland. There are two predominant varieties — single malt and single grain (2).
Single malt Scotch whiskey is made out of solely water and malted barley at a single distillery. In the meantime, single grain Scotch whiskey is likewise produced at a single distillery however could include different complete grains from malted or unmalted cereals (2).
Not like bourbon, which has no minimal getting older interval, Scotch have to be aged for not less than 3 years in oak containers. As soon as prepared, the whiskey is distilled and bottled at a minimal of 40% alcohol (80 proof) (2).
Bourbon and Scotch are forms of whiskey. Bourbon is produced in the USA and primarily made out of corn mash, whereas Scotch is produced in Scotland and sometimes made out of malted grains, particularly single malt Scotch
When it comes to diet, bourbon and Scotch are an identical. A regular 1.5-ounce (43-ml) shot comprises the next vitamins (3, 4):
|14 grams||14 grams|
Although an identical when it comes to calorie and alcohol content material, they’re produced from completely different grains. Bourbon is made out of a grain mash that comprises not less than 51% corn, whereas Scotch whiskeys are sometimes made out of malted grains (1, 2).
These variations give bourbon and Scotch barely completely different style profiles. Bourbon tends to be sweeter, whereas Scotch tends to have a extra intense smokiness.
Bourbon and Scotch are an identical when it comes to diet. Nevertheless, they’re made out of completely different grains, which afford them barely completely different style profiles.
Advantages and drawbacks
Analysis means that reasonable consumption of whiskeys and alcohol, normally, could provide some advantages:
- Present antioxidants. Whiskey comprises a number of antioxidants like ellagic acid. These molecules assist neutralize dangerous free radicals. Analysis means that reasonable whiskey consumption could increase blood antioxidant ranges (5, 6).
- Could scale back uric acid ranges. Some analysis means that reasonable whiskey consumption could scale back excessive uric acid ranges, that are a threat issue for gout assaults (7, 8).
- Could scale back your threat of coronary heart illness. Reasonable alcohol consumption has been linked to a decreased threat of coronary heart illness. That stated, ingesting an excessive amount of alcohol could be dangerous and lift your threat of this situation (9, 10, 11).
- Could promote mind well being. In keeping with some analysis, reasonable alcohol consumption could defend towards mind problems, equivalent to dementia (12, 13, 14).
Although a reasonable consumption of whiskey and different alcoholic drinks could have advantages, ingesting an excessive amount of can have detrimental results in your well being.
Listed here are among the unfavorable results of ingesting an excessive amount of alcohol:
- Weight acquire. A regular 1.5-ounce (43-ml) shot of whiskey packs 97 energy, so often ingesting a number of photographs might result in weight acquire (3, 4).
- Liver illness. Consuming 1 shot of whiskey, or greater than 25 ml of alcohol, every day can increase your threat of probably deadly liver illnesses, equivalent to cirrhosis (15, 16).
- Alcohol dependence. Analysis has linked common heavy alcohol consumption to the next threat of alcohol dependence and alcoholism (17).
- Elevated threat of melancholy. Analysis means that individuals who drink a whole lot of alcohol have the next threat of melancholy than those that drink reasonably or under no circumstances (18, 19).
- Elevated threat of loss of life. Extra alcohol consumption considerably will increase your threat of untimely loss of life, in comparison with reasonable consumption or abstinence (20, 21).
To cut back your threat of those unfavorable results, it’s finest to restrict your alcohol consumption to at least one customary drink per day for girls, or two customary drinks per day for males (22).
One customary drink of whiskey is equal to a 1.5-ounce (43-ml) shot (23).
Reasonable whiskey consumption could provide some advantages. Nonetheless, ingesting an excessive amount of can have many unfavorable well being penalties.
Tips on how to take pleasure in whiskey
Whiskey is a flexible beverage that may be loved in some ways.
Most individuals drink whiskey straight or neat, which suggests by itself. It’s sometimes beneficial to drink whiskey this manner at first to get a greater thought of its taste and aroma.
That stated, including a splash of water can assist carry out its extra delicate flavours. Moreover, you may drink whiskey with ice, generally generally known as “on the rocks.”
In the event you don’t like whiskey’s style by itself, you may attempt it in a cocktail.
Listed here are some fashionable whiskey cocktails:
- Outdated Usual. This cocktail is made out of a mix of whiskey, bitters, sugar, and water.
- Manhattan. Constructed from a mix of rye or bourbon whiskey, bitters, and candy vermouth (a kind of fortified white wine), a Manhattan is usually served with cherries.
- Traditional highball. This drink is made out of any model of whiskey, ice cubes, and ginger ale.
- Mint julep. Sometimes served at derbies, a mint julep is made out of a mix of bourbon whiskey, sugar (or easy syrup), mint leaves, and crushed ice.
- Whiskey bitter. This cocktail is made out of a mix of bourbon whiskey, lemon juice, and easy syrup. It’s generally served with ice and cherries.
- John Collins. Made equally to a whiskey bitter, this drink additionally comprises membership soda.
Remember that many of those drinks include added sugars and may pack a whole lot of energy. Like all alcoholic or sweetened beverage, it’s finest to take pleasure in these drinks sparingly.
Whiskey is flexible and could be loved in some ways, together with straight (neat), with ice (“on the rocks”), and in cocktails.
The underside line
Bourbon and Scotch are several types of whiskey.
They’re related when it comes to diet however have barely completely different style and taste profiles, as bourbon is generally made out of corn mash, whereas Scotch is usually made out of malted grains and has been aged for not less than three years.
Whiskey could be loved in a number of methods, together with straight, with ice, or in a cocktail.
Although it might provide advantages carefully, an excessive amount of alcohol can hurt your physique.